NY Daily News, 12/11/5: Carrion to cover his bases
Carrion to cover his bases
Public confab tonight on Stadium proposal
BY BOB KAPPSTATTER
DAILY NEWS BRONX BUREAU CHIEF
It'll be Bronx Borough President Adolfo Carrión's turn tonight to take his cuts at the city's pitch for a new Yankee Stadium. The local community board has already voted against the plan.
Carrión will be holding a public hearing from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the rotunda of the Bronx County Building to discuss the city and the New York Yankees' proposal to build a new stadium just north of the venerable House that Ruth Built.
But local community members have voiced concern over their parkland - including Macombs Dam and Mullaly parks, where the new stadium and four parking garages would go - being replaced with less convenient green space.
And the city Parks Department has already said it may just tear down the walls of the current historic - but not landmarked - stadium to open more green space.
Carrión has previously said he hoped the current stadium might remain standing and be converted into a local sports arena and baseball museum, with a hotel overlooking it on the northern end.
A spokesman said Carrión "remains committed to preserving the 'spirit and character' of the stadium, as well as seeking a sports-themed high school \[and\] a hotel-conference center. This will provide an increase of 5 acres of parkland to what has already been proposed."
As part of the city's Uniform Land Use Review Procedure, local Community Board 4 last month voted 16 to 8, with five abstentions, to oppose the plan.
Many community members have complained that the new green space would include inconvenient locations, including down by the Harlem River, with tennis courts shifted to the roofs of the parking garages.
After Carrión's recommendation, the issue will move to the city Planning Commission and ultimately to the City Council.
Originally published on December 11, 2005