Sunday, July 16, 2006

"Carrion’s evil board packing scheme" Letter in Riverdale Review 06/22/06

“Carrion’s evil board packing scheme” Letter in Riverdale Review 06/22/06 reprinted

To the Editor:

I have been a huge Riverdale Review fan for many years. I eagerly await each Wednesday to dive into the paper. I think it is head and shoulders above all other local publications, with articulate editorials, and great cartoons. I have been closely following the controversy over Bronx Borough President Adolfo Carrion. I think I have a fresh viewpoint on this matter.

If Carrion is trying to throw people off the community board for disagreeing with him over the Yankee Stadium plan, what is next? This reminds me of when Franklin Delano Roosevelt tried to “pack” the Supreme Court to ensure results Roosevelt wanted. This is abhorrent to all Bronxites of good sense! Carrion’s act – which directly defies the democratic process – is a throwback to Nazi Germany and Stalin’s Gulags. Sure, it’s a small step, but Confucius said a long journey begins with a single step. Who knows, if this isn’t nipped in the bud now, there might be troops goose-stepping on Fordham Road by 2075! I for one, raise my wee voice against such heavy-handedness. I applaud the Review for doing the same. Keep up the good work, and please don’t abandon your post as watchdog for the Bronx. If sentries like you walk away, we’ll be in trouble.

Rivka Campbell

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home