Saturday, June 24, 2006

A message from a Save Our Parks Blog reader

A reader of the blog writes in:

Hi

I found your blog while searching the Net. I live in Rhode Island, but have been a full-season ticket holder at Yankee Stadium for the past 11 years. I usually go to 45-50 games per year in the Bronx and have a few thoughts on this dilemma.

First off, since reading all the pros and cons of the new location (which I'm against, the current site should remain) I decided to go over to Macombs Dam Park and take "a look". Man, I have to tell you, there were so many people enjoying the park on a Sunday morning.

People were playing soccer, baseball, running and walking around the track. Some were just enjoying the weather, and I thought to myself, these people are really enjoying the "simple pleasures of life" and now I understood why so many are against the Stadium relocating to that site.

I have a website (yankeetradition.com) and have followed the progress of the new park for years now. What I can't understand is, with modern technology and many intelligent engineers and architects, why doesn't someone do a study on how the "old Stadium" could be ungraded while the Yankees continue to play there? This is what is being done to Fenway Park. Every year, the team does work on the park in the off-season, and it's working out well.

Yankee Stadium is such a historic and sacred site. I feel your group should really push to have the Stadium upgraded, rather than to remove the neighbors from the park they love.

Thank You,
Louis DiLullo
yankeetradition.com

2 Comments:

At 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great letter, thanks to the writer. We thought we were alone, but I guess we are not. Hang in there everyone. We have to build alies.
Friend from Jersey Shore

 
At 4:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Louis,

Please urge all you know who are against the new stadium to contact:

Mr. Jack Howard
National Park Service,
Northeast Region
U.S. Customs House
Stewardship & Partnership
200 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
phone 215/597-1565
jack_howard@nps.gov

As this is not yet a signed and sealed done deal, there is a slim ray of hope here to save the old stadium. The NPS and IRS must still sign off on the new stadium.

Thank you.

Nancy
Friends of Yankee Stadium
group
www.yankeesstayhome.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home